Lawyers for Traffic Accidents

      If you have been injured in a traffic accident you may be able to make a compulsory third party (CTP) claim for compensation.

      Claims are typically available to people injured in accidents involving cars, trucks, buses and motorcycles whether as a driver, passenger, cyclist or pedestrian.

      All vehicles registered in Queensland are required to have insurance supplied by a CTP insurer and most claims proceed against the CTP insurer of the vehicle at fault.

      If an unidentified or unregistered vehicle was at fault a claim can still be made through the Nominal Defendant government insurance scheme. Strict time limits apply to such claims.

      The CTP insurer cannot provide you with legal advice and it is critical that you consult a lawyer to ensure you are aware of the strict time limits that apply and the extent of your entitlements.

      If you would like to know more, or would rather speak to someone, make an enquiry now and we will be in touch with you very soon. Please note that if your injury prevents you from travelling to see us, we'll travel to see you.

      Who can make a claim?

      The CTP scheme in Queensland is 'fault' based, although sometimes people can still claim if they are partly at fault for an accident. CTP claims are typically available to:-

      • Drivers injured in an accident where somebody else was wholly/partly at fault
      • Passengers in an accident
      • Pedestrians hit by a vehicle
      • Cyclists hit by a vehicle or opening door
      • Witnesses to accidents
      • Accidents caused by an unidentified vehicle
      • Accidents caused by a vehicle defect
      • Dependants of someone who died in an accident
      • Spouse or partners of someone injured in an accident

      What can I claim?

      You can generally claim:

      • Loss of earnings
      • Medical, rehabilitation and other expenses
      • Pain and suffering
      • Home help in some circumstances

      CTP insurers will often pay for rehabilitation and medical expenses immediately after an accident so that you are not out-of-pocket while your claim is assessed.

      You can claim for the damage to your vehicle and contents separately through your vehicle insurance provider or the insurer (if any) of the other vehicle.  

      Are there time limits?

      Yes - there are strict time limits.

      In most cases there is a 3 year time limit from the date of the accident, but it can be much shorter.

      There is also a requirement that the CTP insurer be notified of any claim within 9 months of the accident (or first appearance of symptoms), although this can be done later provided there is a reasonable explanation for the delay.

      You should consult a lawyer immediately to protect the rights of you and your family.

      What will it cost?

      We work on a no-win no-fee basis, so you will only pay our legal fees if we win your case.

      Your legal costs will depend on the amount of work required to resolve your claim and each situation is different. We are happy to advise you on your situation during a free consultation. Contact us now to make an appointment.

      Make a Compensation Law Enquiry

      First Name




      How can we help you?

      Request a
      Free Consultation
      416 Flinders StreetTownsville
      QLD, 4810